Don’t you love it when you get an idea in your head and it all comes together? How about when it’s even better than you’d imagined? That was our experience with this Amazing Peanut Butter Pie. It’s a decadent treat that lives up to its name.
Who would have thought my son’s simple request for a Classic Pretzel Salad would result in a burst of creativity? First I thought the filling would make a great frosting (and it did) and then I thought the pretzel crust would work for a tart or pie. Peanut butter was the flavor that popped into my head, and the result was this incredible pie.
The crust is pre baked and takes on a yummy toffee flavor from the sugar and butter used to hold the crushed pretzels together. The filling itself is similar to a cheesecake and doesn’t require baking as no eggs are involved. You will need to whip cream (again).
By my count this will be the fourth recipe featuring whipped cream since April, which may explain why my pants are getting tight. It was worth it! I mean, just look at that piece of pie…
As you might expect, any amazing pie is going to be exceedingly rich. So cut 16 slices instead of 8, or use a 9″ x 13″ pan to make bars.
- 1½ cups pretzel crumbs (about 6 oz of pretzels, crushed)
- 1 cup butter (1 stick), melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Chocolate bar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350
- Crush the pretzels by placing them in a zip top bag and crushing them with a rolling pin. You want the pieces to be very small, but not pulverized.
- Measure out 1½ cup of pretzel crumbs and place in a 9 inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the crumbs.
- Melt the butter and pour over the crumbs. Mix well to distribute.
- Press the crumbs firmly to form an even crust.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- Use a mixer to whip the cream along with the vanilla and powdered sugar.
- When stiff peaks form, the whipped cream is ready.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend the cream cheese and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter.
- Fold in half the whipped cream.
- Transfer to the cooled pretzel crust and smooth the filling out evenly.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour to allow the filling to firm up.
- Before serving spread the remaining whipped cream on top of the pie and garnish with shaved chocolate.
I used a store bought creamy peanut butter to make Amazing Peanut Butter Pie but if you want to try your hand at making your own check out this post from Chew the World.
Make sure to check out the other pies created by the Recipe ReDux bloggers: