Veggie sandwiches are a great choice when you’re hungry and don’t want to cook, but don’t really feel like salad.
Once you’ve experienced the Spanish sun in the Summer you’ll understand why everything shuts down in the afternoon. The sun is relentless and people automatically seek out the shade, or stay indoors with the shutters drawn. We’ve actually been planning our shopping route to maximize the amount of shade we can walk in!
Shopping, cooking and exercising are best done early in the morning or after the sun goes down in the evening if possible. It’s not unusual for the evening meal to be eaten after 10pm, when the sun finally sets and the evening breeze picks up.
Sandwiches are a great way to avoid cooking when it’s hot. Just about anything can you can think of can be put between two pieces of bread, including these two vegetarian fillings that are perfect for Meatless Monday.
The first is a chunky egg salad with pickles and carrots. The second is a delicious mash of seasoned avocado and chickpeas with a topping of alfalfa sprouts. We made one sandwich of each type using short, soft rolls. I had a hard time choosing which one I preferred and both would work as stand alone salads or “breadless sandwiches” wrapped in lettuce leaves.
- 2 6 inch soft rolls, cut in half, remove the insides as necessary
- 2 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped
- 2 - 3 small pickles, roughly chopped
- enough mayo to hold it all together
- your favorite mustard to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- shredded carrots (I used pickled carrots in a jar, but fresh are great, too)
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- ¼ cup cooked chickpeas (aka garbanzos) (I use jarred chickpeas and used the leftovers in salads)
- cumin, curry powder, chopped parsley or cilantro, salt and pepper to taste
- small handful of alfalfa sprouts
- Prep the bread then mix the two fillings in separate bowls, taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Spread one filling on each roll, then cut in half to share,
- Serve with chips or veggies and your favorite beverage
Stay tuned for more veggie sandwiches. What are your favorites?