Welcome back to the latest Meatless Monday! I’ve teamed up with blogging friends Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Mary from Mary’s Kitchen to bring you a month long party! This week marks the end of the July party. I’ve brought a Creamy Vegan Vegetable Soup to pair with the Veggie Sandwiches from last week.
This soup gets its creaminess from potatoes, unlike the vegan tomato soup I made awhile back which used tofu. Besides the simplicity of creamy vegan vegetable soup, I love the versatility. The base of the soup is made of carrots, celery and onions (aka mirepoix) which we always have on hand. The flavor can be altered by changing the proportions of the veggies, changing the seasoning, or adding yet another vegetable like broccoli or cauliflower.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 half onion, peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and diced
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- Saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until softened and starting to change color
- Add the celery and carrots. Cook a few minutes.
- Add the potatoes, seasonings and vegetable broth.
- Cook until all the vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup to a nice texture.
- Add more broth or water to thin the soup if necessary.
Looking for more ideas? Check out the links below! Feel free to share your own meatless recipes. The linky will display the posts in random order so everyone has a chance to be listed first. Check out the Meatless Mondays Website for more information and even more ideas! We’ll be closing the July link up after this week. Next week I’ll share my favorites from the last month.