We eat soup a couple times a week. It’s such an easy way to use up leftovers or empty your vegetable drawer. To make Creamy Corn Soup, I cut the kernels off leftover ears of corn. Outside of corn season, you could easily substitute canned or frozen corn. The inspiration for the soup came from Under 15 Minutes: Quick and Easy Vegetarian Meals by Jonathan Vine and Tali Carmi (affiliate link). You can read my review here. The recipe uses coconut milk which put me in mind of Thai food. To that end, I added chopped jalapenos and basil. I also added a lot more corn than called for.
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can Coconut Milk (about 2 cups)
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced small (save some slices for garnish)
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, saute the onions, jalapeno pepper and garlic in the olive oil until softened.
- Add the vegetable broth and corn, season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the basil right before serving.
ON TO THE PARTY!
Meatless Mondays was created to inspire people to go without meat one day a week. Click here to read more about it on their website. To that end, I’ve teamed up with Christie from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures and Mary from Mary’s Kitchen to bring you a month long link party dedicated to Meatless Monday offerings. We hope you find something you and your family will love. If you have a meatless recipe you’d like to share, please link up.